Mascots are key components of the brand and presentation of the 19th Asian Games and the 4th Asian Para Games Hangzhou 2022 (hereinafter referred to as Hangzhou Asian Games and Asian Para Games or Hangzhou Asian Games and Hangzhou Asian Para Games). To ensure mascots of Hangzhou Asian Games and Asian Para Games are widely recognised and liked by people of different gender, age and cultural backgrounds for being global, national, artistic and innovative, the 19th Asian Games Hangzhou 2022 Organising Committee (HAGOC) is authorized to launch the call for designs of Hangzhou Asian Games mascot and Asian Para Games mascot on April 16, 2019.
HAGOC sincerely welcomes all individuals, legal entities and organisations (hereinafter referred to as participants) that are interested in Hangzhou Asian Games and Asian Para Games to actively respond to the call and contribute their wisdom and strength to Hangzhou Asian Games and Asian Para Games.
I. Participant Qualifications
All participants interested in Hangzhou Asian Games and Asian Para Games and satisfying the requirements set out in the appendixes may respond to the call. Participants need to download, fill in and sign all the legal documents including Letter of Commitment from the Participant and Letter of Authorization (Appendix 3), as required by the Documents on the Call for Mascot Designs of the 19th Asian Games Hangzhou 2022 (Appendix 1) and the Documents on the Call for Mascot Designs for the 4th Asian Para Games Hangzhou 2022 (Appendix 2).
II. Technical Requirements
(I) Design objective
1. The design for the mascots shall comply with the pursuits of the Olympic Movement and also reflect the history, culture and innovative vitality of Hangzhou as the host city of the Asian Games and Asian Para Games.
2. The design for the mascots shall also reflect the overall identity of Hangzhou Asian Games and Asian Para Games and demonstrate harmony and consistency in appearance and impression. It must be creative, easy to recognise and highly adaptable, conveying the lively, endearing images that appeal to the youths.
3. The design for the mascots shall be easily applicable in business development and can be reproduced, transmitted and recreated in different areas of Games preparations, media, formats and techniques.
(II) Design keywords
Hangzhou Asian Games concepts: Green, Smart, Economical and Ethical;
Hangzhou Asian Para Games concepts: Sunny, Harmonious, Self-improvement and Shared
Hangzhou Asian Games and Asian Para Games objectives: Chinese grandeur, Zhejiang style, Hangzhou flavour and Shared by all;
Hangzhou Asian Games and Asian Para Games positioning: New Era, Great Asian Games;
Mascot connotations: Dream, Innovation, Joy and Perseverance.
(III) Other requirements
1. Participants shall submit designs of the mascots of Hangzhou Asian Games and Asian Para Games.
2. Each design drawing should comprise one mascot or a group of mascots respectively.
3. Mascots must be original creations and distinguishable from those of previous Asian Games, Asian Para Games and major international and national sports events.
4. The mascots shall have creative, simple-but-pleasant sounding and easy-to-remember names, which must be original and reflect the values of Hangzhou Asian Games and Asian Para Games or the personality and character traits of the mascots.
III. Components and Submission of the Designs
Participants shall submit the combined drawings of designs of Hangzhou Asian Games and Asian Para Games mascots as well as the separate drawings of the front view, three-view (left side, right side and back) of the mascots, design descriptions and application schemes of the mascots. The submission shall also include electronic documents stored on a CD-ROM or USB flash drive.
Participants may also voluntarily submit extended design applications and related video materials. All designs must be original creations and may not violate the portraiture right, copyright and any other rights of any third party.
For the compilation, production and submission of designs, qualification and legal documents, please refer to the Appendixes.
IV. Selection Procedure and Awards
The call for designs of mascots begins on April 16 and ends on July 15, lasting three months. HAGOC will conduct initial screening of the submissions, while a review panel will be established to judge the designs that have passed the screening. Following the review, no more than ten designs will be shortlisted and submitted to HAGOC for final decision. The winning designs for Hangzhou Asian Games and Asian Para Games shall be determined through a stringent evaluation process, and the launch of the mascots is scheduled for the end of 2019.
The shortlisted designs submitted to HAGOC will each receive a pre-tax award of RMB10,000, while the top four will each receive a pre-tax award of RMB30,000. The winning design will receive a pre-tax award of RMB120,000.
For more information and updates on the call for designs, please visit HAGOC's official website: http://www.hangzhou2022.cn/.
The 19th Asian Games Hangzhou 2022 Organising Committee
April 16, 2019